26 Sleepless Nights: A To-Do List by Deborah Kerbel
In the 2012 GG-nominated Young Adult novel Under the Moon, 15-year-old Lily stays awake for 26 nights (!!!).
What would YOU do if you didn’t have to sleep for 26 nights? The book’s author, Deborah Kerbel, has some suggestions:
1. Write a novel about insomnia. Title it: Under the Moon II – Lunar Reboot.
2. Track down your zodiacal constellation in the night sky.
3. Sing all of the songs (and all of their parts!) from Grease.
4. Count the bumps on your stucco ceiling.
5. Alphabetize your iPhone apps.
6. Serenade your houseplants. Actually, serenade everything in sight — and don’t shy away from the high notes!
7. Memorize the lyrics to REM’s ‘It’s the End of the World As We Know It’.
8. Paint a self-portrait.
9. Rediscover your favourite YA novels.
10. Come up with creative ways to scare the bejeezus out of the paperboy.
11. Search your laundry room for all of those missing socks and reunite them with their long lost partners.
12. Write a letter to your favourite author.
13. Exfoliate your elbows.
14. Harass the nearest 24-hour drive-thru attendant.
15. Skype with a friend in China (it’s a 12 hour time difference!)
16. Learn to play the electric keyboard.
17. Have an Adam Sandler movie marathon and rank them from best (Happy Gilmour) to worst (Jack and Jill).
18. Open all your windows and wait for bats.
19. Tackle the teetering ‘to-be-read’ pile on your nightstand.
21. Search through that jarful of pennies under your bed for the rare Canadian ‘Dot Cent’. http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/2010/01/04/consumer-canadian-coin-auction.html
21. Host a chocolate-tasting party…for one.
22. Teach yourself how to Flamenco dance…
23. …and while you’re at it, teach yourself how to tap dance.
24. Bake enough cookies to have dessert for a week.
25. Organize your closets (as a last resort).
26. Become friends with the moon and anything and everything else that comes out at night. Just like Lily does.
And as a bonus: Stay awake a LITTLE longer and check out our upcoming contest celebrating our award nomination for Under the Moon!